History Lives series
post written by Emma Filbrun
Title: History Lives series
Author: Mindy and Brandon Withrow
Major Themes: Church History
Synopsis: A set of five books covering the entire history of the Christian church, from the Apostle Paul to Janani Luwum in Uganda in 1977.
I have just finished reading this series to my children as a supplement to our history program. They have really enjoyed listening to the well-written, action-packed stories of famous or obscure Christians from the past 2,000 years. By the time we finished, after reading the series for five months, some of the boys were ready to move on to something else, but most were still enjoying it. I would highly recommend this series for anyone who wants to know more about Christian history. It is not a stand-alone course in history, but a great supplement.
Links to the individual book reviews:
- Peril and Peace — Volume 1: Chronicles of the Ancient Church
- Monks and Mystics — Volume 2: Chronicles of the Medieval Church
- Courage and Conviction — Volume 3: Chronicles of the Reformation Church
- Hearts and Hands — Volume 4: Chronicles of the Awakening Church
- Rescue and Redeem — Volume 5: Chronicles of the Modern Church
WARNING: A number of the stories describe the suffering and death of people who were martyred for their faith. Parents will want to preread many of the stories if younger children will be reading or listening to these books.
Read Aloud—Ages 8 – 12, 10 – 13, Family Read Alouds
Reading Independently—Ages 10 – 12, 12 – 15, 15 and Above, Adults
Links to buy the entire History Lives series:
Keywords: Church History